White Flashes: a recent dream

Under a straw roof
In a village courtyard
Within high bamboo fences,
Alone I waited.

For whom?
For what?
I knew not.


Maybe it was for the young man
Who came in through the wooden gate
Deadly intent in every stride.
Was I to fight
To scuffle
To flee
To cry for help
To beg tearfully on bended knees to be spared?

Panicky thoughts
Scrambled.
The blood ran cold.

Too late!
Cold steel pressed to my head.
Say your prayers, he said.
Was I to die then?
Unbelievable!

But
I chose
To believe.
These were last moments…
Precious moments.
No time to waste
On hope and fear and regret.

Eyes closed,
All thoughts exhaled
Fresh air inhaled
I saw my priorities change.

Ah, the time had come
For the iceberg to melt
In the ocean!
Ah, for the bubble would burst
And be with the air above!
Ah, the raindrop was plunging to the end of
Its brief free-fall
To be absorbed by
The green earth!

Ah, my Friend,
my Beloved, my only Love
You would embrace me again!
Ah, Father, Hallowed be Thy Name,
Thy Kingdom come,
Thy Will be done…
Ah, Thy Will alone be done…

White flash
Within closed eyelids
(What?! No deafening gunshot?! No searing pain?!)
White flash… pause then another white flash.
Peace
Darkness
Stillness
Ah.

[This is the description of a dream I had many years ago. I awoke with a feeling of great peace and tranquility.]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Did Akash Ambani, son of Mukesh Ambani, kill two persons in car crash

Short story: The faithful wife

India's "Anaadi" Courts -- where all your fundamental rights disappear