An old friend says hello

Morning walk.
A big white stray I’ve never met before
Abruptly puts his paws on my chest.

No wagging tail,
No lolling tongue,
No panting,
No doggy grin,
No wet-nosed kisses.

Strange grey eyes
Gaze into mine.
“We know each other,” they say.

Standing there,
I stroke that big head for a minute,
Acknowledging a deep bond.

I never see him again
And I don’t need to.

But I understand that
No matter where I go,
No matter who I am,
My friends and I
Shall
Always
Find each other.

Thank you,
Old friend,
For reminding me
So beautifully.

________________________________
I first wrote this in January 2007. Is it a poem? You decide. This is an accurate account of an incident that actually happened to me on a morning walk, and the thoughts that flashed through my head then.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Did Akash Ambani, son of Mukesh Ambani, kill two persons in car crash

Short story: The faithful wife

India's "Anaadi" Courts -- where all your fundamental rights disappear